Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The wheel on the truck go around and...flat!

by Boomer
Here's the story of how we got a flat on our land. This year for the boys birthday, we decided they needed a swing set. So, we asked the family members to contribute as a group to their "big" birthday present--and yes several family members (and you know who you are), also thought those "poor" boys, they need a swing set. So, after gathering up the monies to buy it, we finally decided to find "the place" on the land to actually put it together.
During the "big break" (when Grant and Asa went to their grand parents) Sonja, Zane and myself decided one night to go drive around the land and find "the spot". So instead of hitching up the four wheeler (thanks Uncle Bill & Aunt Susan) to the trailer (thanks again Uncle Bill & Aunt Susan) and lugging the family around, I thought--well we now have a truck (we bought from my cousin Mickey' s estate), we can ride around in style with the air conditioning blowing on us to keep us nice and cool--the max air setting is a little cantankerous, so we just had to go with the 'normal' setting. Well, it did it's job of keeping us cool and we had a really good time just driving around the three of us. Zane was walking and crawling all around the cab during our drive in back 40--he had so much fun! When we came to "the spot", I decide to drive a little closer so Sonja could get a better view of it--after all, the sun was sitting...then all of the sudden, out of the blue we hear this BIG \'hiss'/ from the front of the truck and it just collapses to one side.
Well, as it turned out, when I turned the wheel to drive a little closer, (so that my sweet wife Sonja, wouldn't have to get out and walk in the heat), the sidewall hit a stump...which must have had a sharp point on it, and it sliced it's way thru the sidewall as we moved forward. As you can tell, it sounds like it was all her fault, but of course it wasn't...it was mine...yes, I know I was wrong for once...so go ahead and mark it on your calendar. So instead of making my wife and young child walk from the back 40 to the cabin, I drove the truck up to the goat barn, yes Papa the one with "ant hills" and parked it there--for a couple of days, until I could change the tire in day light. And by looking at the picutre you can tell, I was NOT able to change it in full day light, as I did it one night after I got home from work. It got dark so fast, that I had to use the camping lantern to light the "subject" just to finish THE changing.

So..that's the story of the flat on the land...not that we own flat land...




1 comment:

Judy Bean said...

What ant hills????? Get rid of them.....Please....I don't want my three sweethearts getting stung. We went through that when Asa was here visiting!!