Monday, June 30, 2008

Possum Kingdom Lake


Saturday afternoon we drove all the way up 281 to the lake. Who knew that 281 went all the way up there? Boomer's father's family was gathering to celebrate the life of Mickey Parkinson. Mickey passed away Saturday week ago in a Fort Worth hospital after a long illness. He was 59 yo. That's so young by today's standards. He didn't want a funeral, he just wanted everyone to gather at the lake and grill out and visit. I can't begin to tell you how many people we there, but we filled four houses/trailers and an RV. The boys had an absolute blast running around with all their cousins. Someone around the bend of the lake was setting off fireworks and there was a turtle, cranes and all kinds of stuff to keep the boys busy. I got to visit with some of his girl cousins that I haven't seen in a while, which was so nice. They're a real nice group of people. We had a short service for him with a couple of prayers, a few scriptures and a couple of stories. Then the kids set some balloons off in the air and Boomer's aunt started us in Jesus Loves Me. It was real nice. We just stayed the one night since we still have so much to do here at the cabin. I had to go inside early to put Zane in bed so I didn't get to visit as much as I would have liked. I understand Grant and Asa played Wii and some of the adults got a good game of Poker going. (I'll share pictures soon.) When we were driving home yesterday, Boomer and I were laughing about how we used to talk about other friends "always being out of town". I guess we're those people now. Oh, and before I forget to share the best laugh of the weekend. Boomer and I shared a twin size bed there! Can you picture that! We think we probably slept in 30 minute intervals waking each other every time either of us turned over. What a hoot!
Yes, the cabin is coming along, most of the curtains and shades are hung, most of the boxes are unpacked ... please note the word "most". Hopefully, we can get the inside settled enough to get started on the front porch this weekend or next.

2 comments:

Judy Bean said...

Just to give you a head count of relatives that attended Mickey's "Celebration of Life".... there were 56 of us there.

Judy Bean said...

Forgot to say....you need to take some updated pics of the cabin, showing how much the curtains changed the appearance.